HDBaseT: The Worldwide One-cable Standard
HDBaseT is the global standard for the transmission of ultra-high-definition video & audio, Ethernet, controls, USB and up to 100W of power over a single, long-distance, cable. For audiovisual, consumer electronics, and even industrial PCs, this can be a simple category cable (Cat6 or above), for up to 100m/328ft. For medical and government applications, optical fiber is usually preferred, spanning several kilometers. For automotive, HDBaseT can be transmitted over a single unshielded twisted pair (UTP), for up to 15m/50ft, or any other commonly used media (such as STP, HSD, coaxial and fiber).
Since its introduction in 2010, HDBaseT has revolutionized the video distribution sector. It brings a rich feature set, increased reach, and better performance than existing solutions. The cornerstone of the technology is 5Play, the converged and simultaneous delivery of uncompressed ultra-high-definition digital video and audio, Ethernet, USB, control signals and power over a single cable.
Today, HDBaseT is optimized for different markets, addressing the specific needs of such sectors as audiovisual, automotive, industrial PCs, consumer electronics and more. The common denominator in all these sectors is the need to distribute high-quality signals over the best, lowest-cost infrastructure, for the longest distance possible. HDBaseT delivers quality of experience, eliminating cable clutter and without compromising performance and high quality.
Before HDBaseT, video professionals had some serious challenges to contend with, mostly: How to deliver high-quality content over a reasonable cable (both in terms of cost and ease of installation), for more than a few meters/feet? Usually the answer involved some serious compromises on quality, distance, or cost and complexity.
HDBaseT eliminated the compromises by offering:
- Long-distance transmission: 100m/328ft with a single hop, or even more with several hops
- Signal convergence: audio & video, Ethernet, controls, USB and power over a single cable, eliminating clutter, simplifying installation, with reduced infrastructure costs and low cabling weight
- Performance: the current generation can deliver up to 4K (ultra-high-definition) video, and 8K is already in the roadmap
- Simplicity: category (LAN) cable and UTP cables are easy to install and to field-terminate. Cat cables also use standard RJ-45 lockable connectors.
- Affordability: HDBaseT relies on low-cost infrastructure without compromising on performance, reducing not only installation but also maintenance costs; the ability to transmit power over HDBaseT eliminates the need for electrical cables and outlets near all of the devices
- Standardization: HDBaseT is an industry standard, facilitating interoperability
- Versatility: HDBaseT is an industry-proven technology, which can be easily adapted across different sectors